More lessons from the garden. . .

One of the things that caught my attention as I was pulling weeds the other day, was the worms. There were a ton of earthworms crawling through the soil. They thrive on organic matter such as leaves, dead roots, and whatever kind of compost I throw in there. There are all kinds of things that are a part of their lives. Vegetables, flowers, weeds, soil, etc. Their digestive systems turn their castings (poop) into nutrients for the soil, benefiting the whole garden.

After a while, I noticed every so often, when I pulled out some weeds, I could see a number of worms clinging to the clump of soil surrounding the roots. Because worms tend to be a good thing to have in a garden, I shook the clumps of soil until the worms fell out, back onto the soil of the garden before I threw out the weeds. They would usually crawl back into the soil, but sometimes they would just lie there, sitting on top of it, exposed to the elements. Once in awhile I would say, “You better find some shelter before a bird comes by and eats you for dinner!”

Sometimes, as I shook the clumps, they would crawl deeper into the mass of roots and soil, making it difficult to shake them out. Every so often I had to pull the roots apart by hand. I realized at one point (if I was feeling patient), if I held the clump near the ground, they would recognize the safety of it, crawl out, then disappear into the depths of that rich soil.

Stick with me here…

I thought, aren’t we like earthworms in a garden? We feed and grow from the nourishment we get from God’s word, various people, experiences, mistakes, etc. Even the bad things (like weeds) that have choked out good, can teach us lessons that help us learn, grow, then ultimately become beneficial for teaching others. Even the “excrement” of our lives provides nutrients for growth.

There are difficult situations that we go through at times that shake us to our core. We try so desperately to cling to our roots, to our Savior, to the source of growth, and often are able to remain safe in His presence, but sometimes it’s too much, and we fall. The important thing is that we “crawl” back into the richness of His word and find nourishment again. We will be shaken. Some of our lives will be turned upside down and torn apart. We may wonder if we will ever feel safe again.

Maybe you feel like you can’t go back. It’s hard to pray. It’s hard to read His word. It’s hard to be in His presence. But please know that He is always there, patient, and welcoming us back into the garden, back into His arms. He is our safe place.

Praise Him.

“For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations.” -Isaiah 61:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper