Are We Embarrassing Jesus?

Something has been bothering me, and I know I’ve said this before, but I may step on toes here, and lose some of you this time for real. I have never written anything remotely political before, and I wouldn’t say I’m starting now, but bear with me.


Have you ever heard of the Sadducees and the Pharisees? They were religious sects within Judaism during the time of Christ. They both held political power. There was a “supreme court” of ancient Israel that held members from both groups called the Sanhedrin.


The Sadducees tended to be more wealthy and hold more powerful positions. The Pharisees were more representative of the common working people. Jesus was in almost constant conflict with both of them, and condemned each on more than one occasion.


Which brings me to Jesus and politics today.


I have seen too many believers who are choosing the world and politics, over God’s Word. I am not saying there is no place for politics, because there is, especially when used to carry out things like social justice, but when we choose politics over our friends and family. . . over other humans, it becomes a problem. When we switch out our Jesus focused lens for the lens of politics, it can become hurtful. If a person can scroll through our social media pages, or reflect on personal conversations with us and find themselves identifying us as a Democrat or Republican, rather than Christ-follower or lover of humans, it has become a problem. 


I feel confident in speaking for Jesus when I say. . . 


Stop it. It’s embarrassing.


Jesus doesn’t need us to fight for Him, especially in the name of a political party. If Jesus was in conflict with both “parties” during His time, I’m guessing it hasn’t changed any today. He is the same today, as He was yesterday, and will be tomorrow. 



This is an incredibly important time to check our hearts. Our hearts are so often reflected within our conversations, social media, and what we spend time looking at. Are we finding ourselves making idols of our political beliefs, parties, and candidates, or are we doing what each of us was called to do in Matthew 28:16-20, and spreading the good news of Christ to all the world? Could we be unintentionally engaging in divisive behavior, or are we being intentional about sharing the love of Christ?


“I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters, by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.” -‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1:10‬ ‭NLT‬



Thank you for being here today. If would love to hear from you, and I invite you to be a part of this conversation. Please comment below.  If there is anything I have shared that you believe others can benefit from, please share with as many people as you can. I love making this journey with you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper