My Prejudice Doesn't Discriminate

Over the last week, I have had some very interesting conversations with various people about the issues in our current social and political climate. I know this has been an uncomfortable thing to talk about for some, especially for those who did not grow up with much diversity. However, believe me when I say important. I am inclined to say, racial tensions will never completely go away, but I have decided, I’d like to keep the hope of healing alive. One of the ways we can do that is by talking about it. . . no matter how difficult it may be.

Some of you may be thinking “Really?! Do we have to keep talking about this?! Why does everything have to come down to race?!”

Well, everything is not about race, but it is something that needs to be dealt with. “The solution is not to “stop making everything about race” and just all come together as one. We have to be anti-racism, not anti-talking-about-race.” (Angela Watson - The Cornerstone For Teachers)

If we want it to go away, we have to look it directly in the eye and deal with it head-on.

The Bible has a lot to teach us about such issues. 1John 2:11 says, “ But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.”

“For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.” -Ephesians 2:14-16

The first thing we have to do is get introspective and be honest with ourselves. Sometimes we don’t even see it. Sometimes we choose not to see it. I STILL have to deal with such things within myself. If I really take time to do some self-examination, I have to admit, I have some preconceived (prejudice) ideas about various people who are different than me. There are people who I don’t identify with because they are so different than I am. They come from a completely different place. Those people can be red, yellow, black, or white. My prejudice doesn’t discriminate. (Ha!)

Actually, it’s not easy to admit that, but it’s true. I also know I have to be intentional about changing those preconceived ideas by talking to and learning about those I have trouble identifying with. Did you catch that? The keyword is “intentional.” That’s what it’s going to take my friends. Go out of your way to make a friend who looks very different from you. Find someone who comes from a completely different kind of place than you do. I believe you will be richly blessed by such a relationship.

Also, BE that person. Be that safe person someone can be intentional with. Sometimes that’s hard too. Do it anyway. It may be uncomfortable at first, but it will enrich your life in ways you may have never imagined.

Another thing Angela Watson teaches is, “When someone hits a sore spot and you realize you’ve said, done, or felt something that you didn’t realize could be insensitive, avoid rationalizing your actions.” Don’t berate yourself. Don’t rationalize it by saying that everybody needs to quit being offended by everything. Just own that you’ve done or said something offensive, move on, and don’t do again.”

Finally, can we just try to look at people the way our Creator does? Try? I Samuel 16:7 explains. “But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”

I’d love to see some honest discussion about your struggles and victories in this area. I want this to be a safe place. I hope and pray all who participate keep it that way.

This is a picture of me with my “sister” of 27 years. I can easily say my life is rich because she is in it.


Thank you for being here today. If would love to hear from you, and I invite you to be a part of this conversation. Please comment below.  If there is anything I have shared that you believe others can benefit from, please share with as many people as you can. I love making this journey with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper