The First Day

 

Today is the first day.

 

Today is a first day like none other. Today my son Isaiah starts college in a town we don’t live in… Without me. By himself. On his own. Out of my presence.

 

I know many of you think I have it all together and have constant faith that God will handle all “the things.” I do have big faith. But man! I have moments and sometimes full days of internal freak-out. My Mom heart/brain imagines every bad thing that could possibly happen to my kids. Especially the one with a brain injury. Although I know God saved him from death once, and I also know that doesn’t make him immune to another untimely death experience.

 

I also worry he won’t make friends. I worry he will fail his classes. I worry he won’t communicate his needs the way he should. I worry he will be lonely. I worry he will fall and get hurt. I worry he won’t be happy every second of the day. Ugh!

 

Although I worry, I am usually able to quickly remember when he was born, I acknowledged that he along with my other children are only on loan, and trusted God to take care of him in the way only He knows how. Yet, I battle worry every single day. 

 

I battle.

 

That means I don’t allow myself to be crushed under the weight of worry. I remember that God told me in Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

 

It’s easy to forget that we can talk to God every moment of the day. Don’t you usually feel better when you’ve talked something out? I do. I know there is potential to worry about a lot right now but remember this is WAR. We are going to have to battle something every day. Remembering that helps me stand up straighter as grab my armor to wear for the day.

 

Do you have your armor ready? If not, go right now and grab your Bible. If you don’t have one, go to your phone and down a Bible app. God’s word is easily accessible 

 

There is real power in the Word. Try reading it out loud and you will feel it. 

 

“For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.”

Hebrews 4:12

 

Stand up tall today, strap your armor on, and walk in the knowledge that your Lord and Savior will walk beside you (AND before you) as you battle. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper