God's Name in Vain

The other day, a friend of mine shared a post about the fact that taking God’s name in vain isn’t just about saying “Oh my God,” or other vulgar uses of his name in a sentence. I had never considered that before.


How many times do we use God to push our own selfish agenda? When have we claimed His name to disguise the prejudicial treatment of people who are different than we are? Have we ever used His name as an excuse not to stand up and fight for someone we viewed as a sinner? Used His name to condemn?


When I take time to really think about it, there are many of us walking around claiming the name of Jesus, claiming the name of The Creator, yet not representing who He has called us to be. 


Friends. I believe that too, is taking God’s name in vain. 


This unique time and experience God has given us over the last 6 months, is time to continue looking deep into the heart who we truly are. 


“But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.“You must not misuse the name of the LORD your God. The LORD will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper