It's Not Just For Hippies


Last night at the end of my Facebook Live video, I had to hold back tears. I’m sure no one knew it, but I felt a great deal of emotion as I expressed my love for each one watching.

I am looking around at our world right now, and I am grieved. Many of us are so caught up in our own lives and what we want for ourselves, that we are misplacing the value God has placed on the lives of all He has created, putting more value on things that have no relevance to eternity. Let’s remember, this place we live in is temporary. Why are we so attached? Why do we put masks and political parties and skin color above what truly matters? I’m not saying we should ever let others trample us, but c’mon, this has gotten out of hand.

I’m having a hard time seeing the love, and it pains me. Can you even imagine how it makes God feel?

We are allowing our biases, our rights, and our refusal to practice empathy, replace love and compassion for our fellow humans. Those things aren’t just for “hippies,” it’s the way our Creator intended for His people to live.

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” ‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:3-8‬ ‭ESV‬‬

I know this is not a popular opinion, and this message is not for everyone. Only those who claim the name of Jesus. Those who identify as one of His followers. If this is difficult for you, you are human. If you feel it’s impossible, you may want to check your allegiance.

As you consider others, I ask that you try something. When someone tells you they are hurt, believe them, then do what you can to ease their pain. It’s okay if you don’t understand it. You don’t need to in order to help. Apply that to friends and strangers alike remembering Matthew 7:12 (Yes, I want you to look it up yourself), and please LOVE EACH OTHER.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper