But I'm Thankful For It

2020 has been a less than desirable year.

For many of us, it has been difficult to find things to be thankful for. It can be difficult to see past the isolation, the division, the sickness, the death, and the various issues we are facing today.

James 1:2-4 says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

I get it. I don’t think we are ever thrilled to go through trials, but what we are learning and gaining from those trials can bring us joy. Make no mistake. It’s not easy and sometimes takes work to find the good. The end of May was one of the most emotionally exhausting times I have ever been through. It was difficult to sleep, hard to eat, and I felt like crying every minute. However, I learned so much, and there were things that had been in the dark that were brought to light, and ultimately led to peace within.

It hasn’t been easy, but I am thankful for it.

I have been disappointed in the state of our country for a long time, but issues have been unearthed that we have needed to deal with for a long time.

It hasn’t been easy, but I am thankful for it.

Covid brought about many different kinds of losses this year. We learned what is “essential” and what is not. Though many lost jobs, there have been other jobs created to cope with the pandemic. We are a creative people.

It hasn’t been easy, but I am thankful for it.

We’ve seen some difficult and sometimes disturbing things from people we love, requiring us to take a look at our own hearts and (hopefully) make some changes.

It hasn’t been easy, but I am thankful for it.

There are other things many of us have been through, and can’t seem to find a place of gratitude for. That’s okay. We may not understand until we meet our Creator face to face. For now, we can focus on things we can be grateful for, and find joy in them.

I am thankful for each of you who continue to encourage me, and make me feel that what I’m doing here matters. Thank you.

What are you thankful for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper