Take that Log out


“We don’t need to try to control the work God is doing in other people’s lives  -Bob Goff


I can’t help but think of my mother’s words when I was a kid and so intent on tattling about something my brothers were doing instead of taking care of the things I was doing wrong. She would say, “Worry about yourself.” She didn’t mean that I should be selfish and only focus on myself. She meant, that I should handle my own issues before spending time pointing out someone else’s. 


Jesus said it in Luke‬ ‭6:42. “How can you think of saying, ‘Friend, let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First, get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.”

‭‭‬ ‭

‭‭

I have in the past, and still struggle with this at times. I think maybe it makes us feel better about ourselves if we can point out how someone is “worse” than we are. 


“Well, at least I didn’t do ____ like they did.“  Does that resemble any of your words or thoughts? It does mine. 


When it comes to me... I am responsible for myself. Jesus can handle everyone else. He’s big enough. I am not.


How about we let Jesus be Jesus and allow Him to work inside of us the way He can in everyone?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper