Who is the real Savior?

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but you are not responsible for everyone’s health and happiness. 


I had to give myself that talk yesterday. As a firstborn, I think it’s pretty typical to feel the responsibility of taking care of everyone. But here’s the thing, the Savior named in the Bible is Jesus Christ. Immanuel. Not Christina Custodio, and not you.


“Furthermore, we have seen with our own eyes and now testify that the Father sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.” -‭‭1 John‬ ‭4:14‬


We are not responsible for that person's happiness. We are not able to save that person. We are not called to sacrifice our own lives to make that person more comfortable. We are also not called to go broke to give the ”best” gifts (someone needed to be reminded of that today).


I, like many of you, want to do good for others, and of course for family. However, there comes a point when we must place boundaries in our lives. Most of us know what those are, but are not always comfortable putting them in place. 


During this Christmas season, a number of us are dealing with various issues. For many, this will be the first Christmas without a loved one. Some are struggling financially. Others are dealing with emotions from the past, or even current emotional trauma. Boundaries need to be set in place in order to heal.


Take time to reflect and ask God if you could be that person pushing through the boundaries of others. Be aware and sensitive to what so many are going through during this time, even though some may never reveal them.


In this season of giving, we each should take time to ask God what He is truly calling us to give, and what burdens we are needlessly taking upon ourselves. 


So on this eve of the biggest day of giving each year, give your burdens to Jesus. That is why He came to earth to be with us. He is the reason we can thrive this season. 


“Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper