Words Matter

“People of the Word believe that words matter, because it was the Word Himself who created matter. What we say, and how we say it, matters. Words create actual matter - for good or for evil - in the world. Our words actually speak our own kind of worlds into being. Destructive words make our world just that - and edifying words can build the world into more of the loving Kingdom of God. Please, Lord, make it true of all the people of the Word: Only speak words that make souls stronger.” -Ann Voskamp Our words matter today more than ever. . . Not just our words when we speak, but also when we write, or post. I’ve been not just disappointed, but grieved over some things I’ve seen, especially from people who claim the name of Christ. I’m going to be candid here. Because of the words and behavior of some “Christians,” I find myself embarrassed to categorize myself as such. I’ve talked to many of you who feel the same. Today I will let the scriptures speak for me, as I share just a small portion of what the Bible has to say about it. Feel free to insert the words “post” or “comment” where appropriate. “Take control of what I say, O Lord, and guard my lips.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭141:3‬ “There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking.” Proverbs‬ ‭29:20‬ “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭19:14‬ ‭ “Kind words are like honey, sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.” ‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭16:24‬ “A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.” ‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭15:1‬ ‭ “The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.” ‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭18:21‬ ‭ “And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you.” ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭12:36-37‬ ‭ “And among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.” ‭‭James‬ ‭3:6‬ May our words reflect the love and compassion of our Creator.‭


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper