Are You Uncomfortable?

One of the things I was concerned about as I headed into ministry, was the vulnerable position I would be in while sharing my thoughts and beliefs with the public. However, I have committed to a life of authenticity and never want to live any other way.


I have found, what many people desire from me is a feel-good message of hope, joy, and love. No problem, because all of that is found in Christ, and is an important message to share. 


However, a life of following Christ is not always comfortable, and sometimes the truth (including my own), is difficult for people to hear and accept.


I have found that to be especially true as a black woman in ministry. So many, want to overlook who I am, and would rather I not talk about the difficulties and truths facing people of color. 


It makes some people uncomfortable.


That often makes me hesitant to share those truths, but as I said, I am committed to living and sharing an authentic life.


Some may have read a post of mine that made them feel good, so they decided to follow my page. Some came here because they were drawn to the inspirational story of my son and our continued journey. I’m sure most had no intention of coming here to be uncomfortable, but sometimes friends, God calls us to be uncomfortable.


Here is the truth. I am first and foremost, a daughter of the King, a Christ-follower. Then, I am a black woman.


The fact I acknowledge that, makes some people uncomfortable. I hope you can understand that because my skin is brown, I have a different perspective and life experience than some others. There is probably something about you, that gives you a different perspective, one that only you and people like you can share with everyone else. So please share!


We are all beautifully different. Praise God for variety!  Instead of being uncomfortable acknowledging our differences, let’s talk about and celebrate them! 


“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.” -‭‭Psalms‬ ‭139:13-14‬ 


Each one of us brings something different to the table, so let’s talk about it.


(Pictured is me and my Mom at my beginning. Fearfully and wonderfully made.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper