Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

Last night, I was searching for a specific picture I took with a friend years ago. I went to her Facebook account, clicked on “see friendship” and began to scroll through. I found the picture I was looking for right away. I then got caught up as I continued to scroll through years of posts, comments. Oh, and the pictures of our kids growing up. We did life together. I had forgotten about a lot of it, but reflecting brought me such joy.

 

I have known my friend for 20 years. That’s a relatively long time. As I read various comments we made to each other over the years I was filled with love wrapped up in nostalgia. But what if we just trashed it all?

  

As I reflected on our time together, I thought about how many of you also have friends and family you have loved and shared your life with. Maybe you have known each other your whole lives, or at least a significant part of your lives.

 

I thought about the political and racial climate we have been in over the last year, and how through such unrest, many friendships have been lost. Families have been fractured. Hearts have been broken.

 

Maybe you have lost one of those relationships to opinions or misunderstandings. Maybe you have put your politics and opinions above your friendship. Maybe your friend has put theirs above their relationship with you. It doesn’t matter who did it. It’s done.

 

Some of us may have forgotten about the years we invested, intertwined in each other’s lives. Remember the time you laughed so hard you cried together? The secrets you trusted each other with? That embarrassing moment that wasn’t so bad because they were right next to you?

 

Maybe you forgot how much you miss them, or maybe you didn’t even know you did.

  

Who did you think of as you read my words? Friends, life is too short to give up on the people we have loved for so long.

 

Step over your pride today, and call, text, or message that friend or family member. Maybe even “offer an olive branch” by sending this post to them, opening up a conversation of forgiveness.

  

 

“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper