Not a Virus

I’m feeling burdened this morning.


It’s not because anything has happened to me. The truth is, I should feel worse. My burden stems from my lack of hurt. Many of our Asian brothers and sisters are being attacked and killed in our very own country.


Where is my outrage?


It is easy to find when it’s someone who looks like me. It is easy to find when it’s someone who has similar circumstances to mine. It’s easy when it’s an innocent child. It is easy to feel pain when I see a black man, then think of my own son, but what about when they are simply God’s children, just like I am? Just like my son is. Just like you are.


Where is my outrage? Where is yours?


Friends, our Asian brothers and sisters are hurting. Their ethnicity is being blamed. How does racial profiling seep into the depths of a virus and cause a beautiful community of people to fear for their lives?  I am familiar with the feeling, which is why it’s a shame these deaths have not rattled me to the core the way the deaths did last summer. 


I feel shame. 


The very thing I begged of my white brothers and sisters last summer, is the very thing I haven’t given. We should all be in mourning. We should all be outraged. We should all be praying for healing. We should all be working to find out what we can do to help and support those in pain.


Again this evil, this hate comes to wreak havoc on God’s people. Do not let the enemy win.


God, open the eyes of our hearts to see what you see and feel about your creation. Help us love and embrace each other the way you intended when you made us. Help us to stand strong together, no matter who it is standing next to us. Help us fight for each other. Let love be our cry. In Jesus’ name.



“This is what the Lord says: Be fair-minded and just. Do what is right! Help those who have been robbed; rescue them from their oppressors. Quit your evil deeds! Do not mistreat foreigners, orphans, and widows. Stop murdering the innocent!” ‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭22:3‬ ‭




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper