Brokenhearted and Crushed in Spirit

What a God thing to do. Stay close to the brokenhearted and crushed in spirit. 


When I think about those I have known who have been brokenhearted and crushed in spirit, I remember they are often difficult to be around, especially when I can’t identify with their pain. They can be depressed, angry, or withdrawn. 


I get it. I have felt the same way when I am in pain. 


We often don’t know what to do, say, or feel when sitting with the brokenhearted. We may even try to explain it away, or tell them they are seeing or understanding things wrong. Maybe we tell them they need to move past it. 


But what does God expect us to do?


Well, what Psalms 34:18 suggests to me (if we are trying to be like the one who created us), is that we should be sitting with the brokenhearted. Stay close to them. Let them express their pain, bearing another’s burdens (Galatians 6:2). That means to come alongside one another. We can’t take it away, so allow them to share it. Help carry the weight by listening and believing their pain, even if we can’t understand it. 


It’s interesting the scripture doesn’t say the Lord tells them to move on, stop complaining, stop being overly sensitive, or even change the perspective of their pain. He stays close to them. He saves them. He delivers them.


I want to do better. I want to be more like my Creator in how He deals with our hearts. My prayer is that we all start dealing with each other’s hearts the way our Lord does. 


Thank you God for being our safe place, our refuge.

Comments

  1. Amen. I pray we all will show the love of Christ in every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. If not in every moment, in most of them. I pray He helps us to the best we can.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper