The Pain of Disappointment

How do you deal with disappointment?


It’s really tough for me to be on either side of it. One of the saddest things to hear from someone is “I’m disappointed in you.” Many of our parents said it to us as kids, and we would probably much rather them just be mad, than disappointed in us. 


Where does disappointment come from? An article in Psychology Today says, “As an emotion, researchers describe disappointment as a form of sadness—a feeling of loss, an uncomfortable space (or a painful gap) between our expectations and reality.” 


When our kids disappoint us it can be painful. Most of the time we know what is best for them to live the best life, and when we find that gap between our expectations and reality, it makes us sad. It hurts… not so much for us. For them.


I wonder if God feels the same way about us. He has a beautiful plan for our lives. A perfect plan. When we make the choice to do what we want because we think we know better, I’m guessing it makes Him sad. I’m sure He feels the same way we feel with our kids. 


“I know what’s best for you. I know you don’t understand, but because you know I love you, you know you can trust me.”


Unlike us, when we get exasperated, tired, and feel like giving up with our kids, or even others outside of our family, God never tires of us. His patience is neverending. There are still usually consequences that come with disobedience, but we tend to bring that upon ourselves. 


I sure am thankful for God’s grace even when I am disappointing. I pray I can show an ounce of that grace when others disappoint me. 


“He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭103:12-13‬ ‭


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper