You Are Who He Says You Are

Yesterday I sang with my church praise team for the first time in a really long time. In fact, it may have been the second time in a year and a half or two. I used to do it all the time, and was always relatively confident in what I was doing, and exercised my vocal instrument regularly.

But like I said, it’s been a long time, and I don’t even really sing that much when listening to music because I’m usually listening so hard to the words in the message that I often forget to.

Needless to say, I was a hot mess. I didn’t get all the notes right and went off-key because I was nervous. It was rough. I hadn’t practiced enough, hadn’t prepared adequately, and wasn’t connected to the songs.

It made me think about my life—our lives. When we are not in the Word, connected to the power of Christ each day, when we are not engaged in conversation and relationship with Him, messing up becomes a given. And if you’re like me, when you mess up, you’re looking around wondering what people are saying about you or thinking about you. You start to identify yourself by your mess up. You think that’s all people are going to see when they look at you. 

For me yesterday, I thought, “Now they’ll know I’m a bad singer.” But that’s not who I am.

That may be what happened in my life yesterday, but it does not define who I am.

It doesn’t matter so much what others see. It doesn’t matter how you messed up yesterday or what you see in the mirror today. The Lord knows exactly who you are. He only sees who He made you to be. Anything else is irrelevant. Others may indeed form their own ideas about who they think we are, but that’s not who we should look to for definement. We are each defined by our Creator. We are who HE says who we are. 

Today, let’s approach the throne and ask God to show us who He created us to be, reconnect, then start living as who He intended.

“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.” (‭‭Psalms‬ ‭139:13-14‬)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper