He Delights in You


I have a confession.


Sometimes (usually while driving), I make the statement, “I can’t stand people!”


That’s generally not true, but there are moments when it just feels like the thing to say. Oh, don’t act like you’ve never said it. . . 


Humans fail us every single day, whether they intend to or not. That’s why it can be so hard to give everything that we are to our God and our Creator. Our hearts and minds have a difficult time not assigning human values and characteristics to God.


Did you know that God does not simply tolerate us? He delights in us. He wants to be with us. When we do something wrong, He doesn’t get mad at us and give us the silent treatment. He doesn’t wait for the perfect time to get back at us when we have wronged Him.


Psalm 149:4 says, “For the LORD delights in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.”


When you feel bad about yourself and your failures, you can be sure that God is still trying to draw you into His arms with unfailing love. He’s not thinking about how you messed up. He is a loving father.


Maybe “loving father” is difficult for you to assign to God. Not all of us have had a loving earthly father. How about a grandfather or even a grandmother if that concept is easier for you to grasp? They were the ones, that no matter how “bad” you would act as a kid, still loved all over you and gave you good gifts. That is what God is like, but even better. He loves you even more than THAT!


It’s important to understand, however, that there are still natural consequences to our sin. Still, no matter how many times we leave Him, God will continue to bring us back into His fold over and over and over and over again. Nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:38-39).


He actually does a happy dance when he thinks of you! Okay, I made that up, but maybe it’s true! 


Zephaniah 3:17 says, “The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness.”


I pray that you go about your day with a smile on your face, living in the truth of your Creator’s love for you.


Comments

  1. I love the thought of viewing God through the lens of my relationship with my grandfather. When I was preschool age, he was my best friend. I was the first grandchild, the apple of his eye. We were nearly inseparable! As I grew older, I heard the stories of his time in the Philippines in WWII. He became my hero as well as my best friend. It wasn’t until I was a teenager that I really found out the true depths of his love for me, and really became my hero. He was my dad’s stepfather. And as I found out more about family dynamics and specifically stepfamilies, I realized that he didn’t have to love me. I could have been his wife’s granddaughter. But through the bond of love, he was more a grandfather to me than most “blood” grandfathers are to their grandchildren. I learned so much from him that has served me well as a stepmother and as a Mimi. I have grandchildren by my stepdaughters. Those kiddos are mine! I learned from the best!

    Kind of like how God loves us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is beautiful Becky. What an incredible example of love! Thank you for sharing that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper