Scream, Yell, and Cry


The other day I was talking with a friend who is dealing with a life-threatening illness. She is tired of being sick. She is tired of her treatments, she is tired of being afraid, and she is angry.


Have any of you ever felt that way?  I have.


She also felt guilty over those feelings. Guilty for not trusting God enough not to feel those things. But here’s the thing: God created those feelings. He gets it. The Lord never intended for us to be sick, or in pain, or even die. All of that happened when sin entered the world. I believe our Creator grieves over our pain.


He understands when we get angry over our suffering. 


My advice to my friend was to take time to be angry. Take time to scream and yell and cry. Then, get up, clean your face, and keep trusting God. 


Just because we get angry or tired or afraid doesn’t mean we lack faith. Sometimes we just need to go through the emotions to find the love of our Creator on the other side. 


Even King David cried out:


“The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came over me; I was overcome by distress and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the Lord: “Lord, save me!” The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me. Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you. For you, Lord, have delivered me from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living.“I trusted in the Lord when I said, “I am greatly afflicted”;  ‭Psalms‬ ‭116:3-10


Friends, I encourage you today to allow yourself to feel the emotions God has given you but do not drown in them. The Lord understands your grief and grieves with you. He will never leave you.


He is for you.

Comments

  1. The Lord knows our hearts. He understands when we need to share our emotions with Him. He is waiting with open arms to embrace us and give comfort that only He can provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. He is often the only one who is able to comfort us.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper