His Harness of Safety


I don’t know about you, but I am really battling stress right now.


I shared this story a while back, but I need it again, so this is for me as much as it is for you. 


Several years ago, I went skydiving. I was attached to my instructor by a harness secured in a couple of different places—two at the shoulders and two at the hips. It was the closest I had been to another adult other than my husband in years. It was uncomfortable at first, but that’s how it had to be to stay secure. 


After jumping from the plane, we were free falling at about 120 miles per hour through the sky. It was scary and exhilarating. Once I felt safe enough, I opened my eyes.


Then it happened. My instructor pulled a cord, releasing the attachment at the hips, changing our position from horizontal to vertical. I had forgotten that part of the training. For a second, I completely freaked out and thought, This is it. I'm going down.


Then I felt his hand grab my arm as if to remind me that he was still there. He didn’t need to do that. The harness was secure. He did it because he knew I was scared.



It’s like the trust I have in God. He gives me something so big, I can’t see where it begins or ends, but I jump, taking that leap of faith. Then, just when things seem to be going smoothly, something unexpected happens, and I freak out! What has changed? He is still holding onto me tightly. How could I forget so quickly? 


Well, if we’re coasting through life without talking to Him each day, it’s easy to forget that the Lord’s got us. He wants us to remain close to Him, safe in His harness of love. His proximity to us never changes, but everything changes when we switch to a vertical position of prayer. Our trials can be scary and test our belief, but we can trust the Lord to handle anything we bring before Him.


King David felt many of the same things we do. He said, “On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help I sing in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.” (Look at the picture again) Psalm 63:6-8


I pray you feel God’s presence today as He upholds you with His righteous right hand.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper