A Lesson Learned

I recently flew to my hometown and visited with friends I’ve known for thirty-six and forty years. As we spent time together, I learned things about them I never knew while growing up.

When we were teenagers, they each chose very different paths than I did. Around that time, in the middle of high school, I moved away. Their choices led to years of struggle and heartbreak.  

As I spoke with the one who’s known me for forty years, I shared that growing up, I struggled with identity. I never really knew who I was. I was insecure and didn’t think anyone could “see” me. I never believed I had any kind of impact on anyone. She informed me that I have always been the strong person I am today, just like I was as a little girl. In fact, she told me that if I had stayed, she feels she would have been able to resist the temptation to go the wrong direction. She explained that she would have felt strong enough to stand behind me, find confidence through mine, and choose to do the right thing. She believes that if I had been there, her life would have looked very different.

Needless to say, I was shocked. She saw what I couldn’t see in myself. That day, I learned something new, and now I am sharing this important lesson with you.

No matter what age you are, somebody is looking to you for strength. Never underestimate the impact you could be having on someone right this very minute. They may be watching you to do the right thing so that they can feel confident doing the same. They may be waiting for an encouraging word to give them strength. They may simply need you to tell them to stay the course, and that you’ve got their back. Your example and encouragement could change everything.

Also, let someone know when they’ve made a positive impact on your life. You may be the difference in their life as well. We all need to know that who we are and what we do (or don’t do) matters.

And if you’re not sure how to start; “Imitate God, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.” Ephesians 5:1-2



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper