Enduring vs. Persevering


 In our school district, we have two more weeks before Christmas break.


Over the last few weeks, I have found myself telling people that I will be in endurance mode for the remainder of those two weeks. Yesterday, as I looked ahead to a brand new Monday, I found myself thinking about the meaning of the word endurance: the ability to sustain a prolonged stressful effort or activity.


Does a situation in your life come to mind when you read that definition? 


Most of us have had to endure some kind of difficulty in our lives. Sometimes there’s an end in sight, and often we have no clue if it will ever end. I usually feel pretty good about the fact I can endure a great deal, but I thought about it a little deeper.


We really shouldn’t be living in constant endurance mode. Though we must be able to endure at times, we must be careful it doesn’t keep us in a place where we are stagnant. That’s often what it does to me. Sometimes in order for me to endure, I go numb. I go through the motions of obedience, without stopping to see what God may be teaching me through my pain or difficulties. Sometimes I cease to actively participate in the parts of my journey that are important to my growth. Usually, to experience growth, we’ve got to acknowledge and truly experience the pain or difficulty.


My friend Shelly pointed out that perseverance may be a better word to use and way to live. Perseverance is persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success. 


When we persevere, we actively participate in pushing forward and through difficulties we face. We feel the pain, acknowledge the pain, and push through it. To me, perseverance isn’t sitting still, allowing life to just happen to us until it’s over. It’s actively participating in changing the atmosphere around us, by taking hold of the power God has given each one of us through His son.


Today I encourage you to persevere through whatever you are facing today. Partner with your Creator to push through your difficult circumstances as He works within you.  He is for you.



“That’s why I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ’s mighty power that works within me.”

‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1:29‬


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper