Shattered Dreams

Something happened to me the other day for the first time since I started on this journey.


I was having a conversation with two ladies who have never met my son Isaiah and one of Isaiah’s former football coaches.


At some point, the coach began to explain to the ladies what an amazing athlete Isaiah was. He went on and on about Isaiah’s work ethic and skill. He then said he believes that if it hadn’t been for his brain injury he would’ve gone really far and would probably be playing football for a school like Clemson today.


The more he talked about how great Isaiah “would have been,” the less I could say, as my heart crumbled into a million pieces. 


Of course, he couldn’t know how this mama’s heart struggled with the reminder of what Isaiah had lost. 


He also explained how gifted Isaiah is in so many different areas and how he will be successful in whatever he chooses to do. He spoke the truth. The Lord has plans for Isaiah we never could have seen coming.


I held it together until he walked out of the room, then the tears flowed. I explained it was the first time anyone had given me a clear picture of what Isaiah had lost. 


Many times we lay out our own plans for our lives or the lives of our children. The path often seems clear and obvious that God is leading us in a certain direction. 


Then someone’s brain explodes.


Last night I asked Isaiah if he ever felt sad that he couldn’t play football anymore. He said he doesn’t really get sad, but sometimes he misses playing. I shared my feelings on how I used to think football was a clear part of the plan, but that I was wrong. If it had been, God wouldn’t have allowed the brain injury to happen. Isaiah wholeheartedly agreed with my assessment. He smiled and explained that he thought He knew God’s plan for his major in college, but then realized this year that God is sendi in a different direction. 


Can I tell you a secret? I knew that already but allowed the Creator to teach His creation. ;)


Do you trust Him?


Can you believe that even if life doesn’t go the way you thought it would, God is still good, knows every hair on your head, and goes before you each day, clearing the way? He told us in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”


Believe it. He is for you.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper