My Stinkin' Word

So a great number of people I know have come up with a word for the year.


I’ve always thought that was a nice idea, but never really joined that camp. Well, this year I decided to participate. It wasn’t difficult because God has been whispering a word in my ear for months. The problem is. . . I didn’t like it. So, I decided I would work to come up with a new one. My dear friend Carol Tetzlaff came up with an incredible worksheet to help figure out what word God is speaking to each of us. I thought, “Okay, I’m gonna work on this. Surely I can come up with something else.” 


On December 31st many of my friends posted their words for the year. They were great! Brave, anticipation, health, rogue, service, reflect, fulfilled, gaze. . . Such lovely words. But, God didn’t give me a word like that. As I filled out the word worksheet, I could almost hear God say, “Seriously Christina. I already gave you your word, and you’re seriously doing this right now?” I continued writing. Have I ever told you how boldly defiant I can be? 


I filled out a few more parts of the worksheet, then finally conceded. “Ugh! Fine!  I’ll take it, but I’m not telling anyone.” Though I can be defiant, I usually come around to do what God is asking. He is so patient with me. So, today I share with you my stinkin’ word for the year. Yes, I said stinkin’. I’ll have a better attitude tomorrow. . . 


Sacrifice.


Seriously. That’s the word God gave me. It’s not glamorous, but I get it. I’m pretty sure I won’t have to sacrifice my firstborn (I hope). But there are some things I may have to lay down on the altar.


My opinion.

My time.

My money.

My control.

Whatever God asks me to.


My word certainly isn’t glamorous, but it sure will grow me. More of Him. Less of me.


“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” ‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:3-4‬ 


What is your word for the year?


If you would like help to find one, you can find the tool here. Word of the Year


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper