What He Did

Today is the day we recognize Martin Luther King Jr.‘s birthday (even though it was Saturday).


When I think about him, I think about the time in which he lived. I think about all the work so many people put in, that many of us benefit from. 


My biggest lot of gratitude goes to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ obviously, but a nice portion goes to MLK Jr. 


Because of the sacrifices he made, I get to come to you each day, allowing you to see who I am without fear of persecution. Because of what he did, many of you take time to listen to my thoughts and feelings, believing I am worthy of being listened to. Because he fought, I get to go where I want and do what I want to do. Sometimes I have to work a little harder to get there, but he helped pave the way.


I’m going to let you in on something that may surprise you. Sometimes when I speak or write, I struggle to believe anyone really cares about what this Black girl has to say. I wonder if some think that because my skin is brown, I don’t matter as much as others and what I have to say matters even less.


I know what you’re thinking, and I don’t need you to reassure me that I am worthy. I know I am. But those thoughts still cross my mind. It sometimes surprises me when a person who doesn’t look like me, values what I do or say. 


I share that with you to give you insight into what many brown skin people feel, not every day, but a lot. So take time to let every kind of person know that you value what they bring to this world.


Dr. King didn’t just do it for people of color, he did it for all of us. We get to live together in harmony when we choose to, finding value in each other and our gifts— Supporting each other, loving one another, sharing our lives. Notice I said, “get to.” We don’t all choose to do those things. We don’t all take the freedom to love seriously. Some of us are still holding on to the hatred of our ancestors. 


But I choose to live in love and pass it on. And I believe you do too.


“For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.” -‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:13‬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper