Blessed are the PeaceMAKERS


The other day a friend mentioned something of my bravery when speaking about racism.  I had never considered that sharing my feelings was brave, but it made me wonder. Does what I’m sharing require bravery for others to do the same? 


I realized that maybe it does. I also realized that many Christ-followers equate speaking truth about difficult or potentially controversial subjects with some kind of persecution. 


We in the United States know nothing of persecution. 


I don’t fear a person arguing with me, not liking me, unfollowing me, or believing what they choose to about me. I fear the words found in Matthew 7:21-23.


“I never knew you. Depart from me.”


How can we sit back and say nothing when God calls us to be peacemakers (Matthew 5:9)?


I found an interesting breakdown that I’d like to share with you. 


PeaceKEEPERS don’t want to be the cause of discomfort. They tend to view it as harmful and not beneficial. They often limit their self-expression because of this.

PeaceKEEPERS tend to keep their issues to themselves hoping to be seen as someone who doesn’t cause or feed into drama.  

PeaceKEEPERS often avoid dealing with people who are different from themselves in order to limit the amount of “feather-ruffling.” 

PeaceMAKERS believe that peace must first be disrupted in order to allow for greater peace to enter. They speak up, anticipate discomfort, and understand it often gets worse before it gets better.


PeaceMAKERS work to create spaces for brave conversations. They get that real engagement is often messy.


PeaceMAKERS help build an environment for peace to be possible. They speak up for themselves and allow others to join the conversation and do the same.


Both can have their place, but many of us have been trying to KEEP the peace for far too long. God has called us to do more. It‘s certainly not my intention to shame anyone into action, but simply take time to find out what God has called each of us to do in these tumultuous times.



*Peacemaking* is patient and kind. It does not envy, or boast and is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 


Familiar words? Do you think we can equate peacemaking with love? What would Jesus do? 


“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God” (Matthew 5:9)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper