The Pruning

The other day I was admiring the marigolds and pansies I had just planted in flower boxes on the porch, when I noticed some dead flowers among them. One by one I began pinching those dead and diseased flowers from the group. Every time I broke one off from the bunch, I heard a little snapping noise. I thought, “That sounds like it hurts,” but the more I removed, the more beautiful the bunches of flowers looked. I knew if I kept it up, they would be more healthy, and more flowers would bloom.

I immediately thought of the way God often prunes us. Sometimes there are parts of us that are unhealthy and keep us from blooming. Though it hurts, God knows what to remove from our lives to help us grow and thrive, ultimately enabling us to live the beautiful life he has planned for us.

I can’t help but think there has been a lot of pruning happening over the last month. Some of it has been really uncomfortable, hasn’t it? However, I have seen some beautiful things happening around the world lately. Things that would not have happened if those others had not been taken away.

I am thankful God knows what needs to be removed from my life so I am able to bloom the way He intended. I don’t always feel that way when it first happens, but I am usually able to look back and see how my life has blossomed once those things (or people) were removed.

“He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[ so that it will be even more fruitful.” -John 15:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper