Why?



The question “Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people” came up again recently, so I am going to address it again. It’s got to be one of the toughest things to reconcile in the hearts and minds of humans. I don’t claim to have THE answer, but here’s what I do know.



I have actually looked at other children or adults who have survived brain bleeds like my son Isaiah, and briefly felt ripped off because they had no residual effects from the rupture. I say briefly, because soon after that thought, came the realization, there was a different plan for Isaiah. I don’t believe God wants or makes any of these things happen to us, but He does allow them.


Isaiah 55:8-9 explains it. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”


Most of the time, there is no way we can possibly understand or even begin to see the bigger picture. That’s where faith comes in. I would have preferred that Isaiah could use both hands and feet when he drives a car. However, I am grateful he is alive to even drive with one. When I think back to the night we almost lost him, I remember “knowing” he was going to die. I felt peace as well as grief, but ultimately peace because I knew whatever God chose that night, He would be glorified, I would be part of a bigger picture, and He would sustain me and my family.


It’s not “fair” that one lives and another dies, but God is bigger than what’s fair and what’s not. Again, He sees the whole picture. If He ruled by what’s fair and what’s not, then we would live in chaos. Can you imagine all the people who would be hurt or drop dead just because someone prayed they would? It could be me or you.


Sometimes we are afraid to talk about a “blessing,” when we know someone else wasn’t “blessed” in the same way. I have a close friend whose daughter died in a car accident. She would wish over and over again for that not to have happened. However, she sees an innumerable amount of blessings that came from her daughter’s death. She is able to rejoice with me thatI did not have to lose my son. She lost so much, and lives with that pain every day, but she also sees the redemption in her story, which is why it’s important for her to tell it… and she does.


Those of us who did not lose a loved one can still address, and comfort the loss of another. We don’t have to pretend we understand, just love them through it without guilt. We didn’t choose that outcome. Those of us who did lose a loved one can look at others who didn’t and see, each one of us has a different story. Each one of us has a different purpose inside of that story. It’s a tough thing to reconcile, but as we begin to really believe in God’s sovereignty, then we can trust that all things truly do work together for good. . . (Roman 8:28)


Do we trust God? Do we understand He is so much bigger than we can fathom? What we know of Him is not even the tip of the iceberg. I don’t know if we could handle knowing more than we do.

It takes faith. In the world’s terms, it just doesn’t make sense. In spiritual terms, it is beyond what we can understand. Eternity is what makes the difference. God sees the future beyond our current lives, beyond our physical bodies. Because of eternity, there is a purpose outside of our current or even future circumstances.
“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper