Whatever I Ask God?

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Mark 11:24


Yesterday, I pondered that verse. 

 

Really God? Whatever I ask?


I’ve always struggled with this scripture because clearly I have not received “whatever” I’ve asked for in prayer. God is not a liar, so what did He mean by this? Well, when looking at the context of the scriptures around that verse, I came to this. . . 


When our whole hearts are right with God (which means searching to find if there are any issues we are not dealing with), and we are living a life focused on glorifying Him, then what we desire will be in line with His will, and we will indeed receive what we ask for. 


I can’t help but think about how many times many of us have asked God to save a loved one’s life, but they still died, or stayed sick,  lost a job, or didn’t come back home. . . The list goes on and on. I’ll tell you how I deal with those things, and you let me know if it makes sense to you. As I’ve learned more about who God is, my prayers have changed. I don’t always ask God to fix a difficult situation. I tend to pray for the outcome that has the most potential to bring people closer to Him. Sometimes that means people or things are lost. 


5 years ago, I asked God to save my son’s life, and He did. However, I also asked Him to heal Him completely, but He didn’t. I can look at the situation now, and see that Isaiah’s current struggles bring more glory to God than complete healing would have. What a testimony that kid has as he continues to find joy and inspire hope, regardless of his circumstances. 


Though things didn’t turn out exactly the way I had hoped, I choose to see how God is using it, not just for His glory, but also for my good. And I’m not special! We all have access to that same kind of life. We can all see through the lens of God’s goodness. 


Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him! Psalm 34:8

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper