This Time

Last week I talked about my past experience on the beach, and how because I chose to remain paralyzed in my discomfort, I got burned.

Ironically, this past weekend, I found myself at the beach once again, celebrating a dear friend. As you may have learned, the beach is not my favorite place, but there is certainly beauty to be found there. This time, I spent more time observing the scenery. I took time to breathe in the ocean air and appreciate God’s beautiful artwork that surrounded me. I remembered that I had the choice as to how long I would expose myself to the sun, finding a healthy balance between sitting in the elements and staying back to simply observe them. I took time to feel the cool breeze, to listen to the waves hit the shore, and watch the little sandpipers race across the wet sand. I watched the sea oats swaying in the wind, standing directly in front of the backdrop of a beautiful golden sun. I allowed myself to feel the warmth of that sun. But this time, I didn’t get burned. I was able to learn from my past situation, and not avoid it, but change how I approached it. There, I found beauty in a place I couldn’t before. In my previous experience, I was too focused on my discomfort to see anything beautiful. We all have the choice to find beauty in whatever situation we find ourselves in, comfortable or not. We can each use God-given wisdom to know when it’s time to go or stay, and for how long. We can recognize the potential to get burned, yet ask God for wisdom, in knowing how to defend ourselves appropriately, and for protection when we fall short. We don’t have to avoid the uncomfortable. We just need to take Jesus with us, guiding us through, asking Him to open our eyes to see the beauty in all of it. We can find a greater purpose in our difficulties. We can find strength in the struggle. It doesn’t matter where we find ourselves, we can find God there. “When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.”‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper