I Hated Black History Month

Well, it’s Black History Month.


Some may be excited by that, anticipating learning things they didn’t know before, and some may be rolling their eyes wondering why “they” get their own month. Some may be moving their cursor to hit “unfollow” at this very moment.


Growing up, I felt embarrassed every February when my white classmates would inevitably look to me for some special insight on the people we were learning about because obviously I should know more since they were “my” people.  


I didn’t know much about the contribution of people who looked like me, past the fact that we were slaves, could run fast, make memorable speeches, and invented a variety of things made from a peanut. 


I hated Black History Month.


I hated it, but now understand why we need it. History has historically been a look back at the highlight reel of white men. White women have often been left out as well. I am still learning about the contributions of white women and other people of color, to this country. 


Many feel we shouldn’t dedicate a month to black history. I might agree, except for the fact that we must, until there is proper and factual representation throughout our history books and the stories we share with our children. 


Maybe one day we won’t need it, but until then, I am grateful to learn more about the contributions of people who look like me and were more than slaves. As a child in a predominately white environment, it would have given me a greater sense of self-worth if there had been more positive images those around me could see and compare me to.


Now, each of us individually and together have an opportunity to change the narrative by sharing the story of a beautiful and diverse people who reflect the kingdom of God. He created every one of us out of love, and has no favorites.


"After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: 'Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb." Revelation 7:9-10 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper