The REAL ID

Most of you know that my wallet was taken a few days ago, so I had to get a new one at the DMV yesterday. Of course, I was slightly dreading having to go because… The DMV. However, I was surprised and quite pleased to find that the whole process took about fifteen minutes. It only took that long because I had to find two proofs of residence to give them in order to get the new REAL ID. But I was able to screenshot a couple of documents from my phone and use those. It took a little time for me to do that, and the lady was so very patient with me. Once all of that was done, she sent me to have my picture taken. I didn’t even have to wait for that! I put on my best smile, signed my name in the little electronic box, got my license, and went on my way. On my way home, I marveled at how fast the whole thing went. I thought about the importance we put on that little card, but it doesn’t show who I truly am. The experience reminded me of how many of us have lost our identities. Sometimes they are taken by another person. Maybe our identity was taken at birth or by some experience growing up. Perhaps it was a nasty divorce or betrayal by a friend. It could have been the loss of a child. Those experiences can leave us wondering who we are and what our purpose is here. What is our real ID? For years I struggled to know who I really was. I wore (and continue to) wear so many hats throughout my life. There were times I felt like none of them mattered, and I wasn’t important. I felt like I was always waiting in line, wondering when God would give me my real ID. If we look through the lens of God’s Word and who He says we are, it doesn’t matter what hat we are wearing at any given moment. We must know we are first and foremost a child of God. Our REAL ID comes from Him. We don’t have to prove anything. Some of you have been waiting a long time for God to show you your purpose to give you your identity. You might already be walking in it. Our assignments change as we learn and grow, and sometimes it takes God a long time to do something suddenly. He’s working on you, and his patience is neverending. Just keep doing the best you can where He has you—He will reveal more in His perfect time. “It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone.” ‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭1:11-12‬ ‭MSG‬‬


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complexity of Prayer

Should Someone Call an Exorcist?

Go Deeper